Sunday, July 26, 2009

After 8 Years...

You would think a horse would be trained. Not so much for one horse I know. I have one that I don't think will ever be trained. *sigh* I have owned him since he was 3 and he is no more "broke" now than he was the day I brought him home. He knows more, he has all kinds of buttons, but he is not a broke horse.

I have ridden him myself for months at a time but still I can get no consistency from him. He needs a very experienced rider to stay with him when he darts one way or another with no warning. I am so frustrated with him I just want to pinch his head off.

There is a new member of the SOS bunch; a new friend from California. He happened into my leather shop and found a place to get his horse fix when he is so far from home. He has been coming out to the barn and riding. The problem is I only have one horse that is available to be ridden (or that I am willing to share) and that is Rusty. He was warned about his stupid antics and was still willing to take him on. Rusty was good for the first few trips, and now he has decided that he can show his true colors. LOL

Tonight I watched Rusty throw out his normal load of crap, and thought to myself I should really switch horses with DW. So we switched and I quickly realized Rusty has officially graduated from PITA to Grade A A*&hole. He promptly darted to the right on a left hand circle pitching me over his left shoulder. I got up and got back on, and we went again. He tried really hard but I stayed with him. He kept on until he managed to unseat me again. This time we went to the round pen for a work out, then back to the arena. He just won't stop!

8 years I have owned this horse, I have ridden him in some of the most challenging environments with amazing dependability, but if he does not want to participate you can flat forget it. He will do whatever it takes to get you to leave him alone.

This is all just a random vent of frustration, but please tell me there are other trainers that have run up on a horse they just can't train. It is absolutely embarrassing that he can't be ridden like the rest of my herd. *sigh* Fooling with him is like beating your head against a brick wall. When your done, your likely to be bruised and have one hell of a headache.


No comments: